July 18, 2008

(217) "Hi! It's so great to see you!"
6 x 8, oil
private collection
I knew this jovial group of twenty-somethings would make an interesting figure painting, but once I studied my photos, I realized that the shapes created by the late afternoon shadows were the real story. Fun stuff.
And as I noted the interesting shapes today, I was thinking about the Magic Eye books
that were all the craze in the 90s. At first you think you see the image on the page, but the more you look (really look) - a shift occurs, and a "hidden" image appears that simply wasn't there before. I suspect that learning to see when painting is quite similar. It is a concept available to everyone, but can't really be taught, only discovered by covering miles and miles of canvas. Some "see" right away, while others never seem to make that "shift"...but one thing for certain, once you get it, you never view anything the old way again. Then, the quest becomes how to best express it - a lifelong journey.
Here are a few people who "got it"...
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see"...H.D. Thoreau
"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see"...Ayn Rand
"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer"...Edward R. Murrow

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes"...Marcel Proust


10 comments:

Mary J DuVal said...

Wow - My goodness, Faye - what has happened?? :0) There is some kind of wonderful new energy in your work!!!! I have always admired your work, but seriously, I am seeing something really neat and exciting going on. Whatever it is, keep it up, girl!

FCP said...

Oh thank you so much - I do feel a different energy, MJ.
Let's hope it's not just the sinus/allergy meds I'm taking this week...but seriously, thanks.
Faye

Teaworthy said...

I totally agree with artbymj and this is an awesome piece!

FCP said...

Thanks, TAG! It was lots of fun to paint.
Faye

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Faye,
Love this perspective, your shadows look great with lots of Chi!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

FAye, the shadow pictures are quite intriging ( sp?). I am enjoying them!I am especially likint the color in the shadows!

Kellie Marian Hill said...

Loving the shadow paintings- you've put the most wonderful, subtle colors into the shadows, and you've got us looking at something beautiful that doesn't usually get noticed... bravo!

FCP said...

Thank you Kellie, Paula and Rhonda. I'm having fun with this series, and I appreciate your comments.
Faye

Rhonda Hurwitz said...

love this series...the shadows and compositions are amazing!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I can see you evolving. You are so dedicated and it shows. I always wish I were a morning person, more so when I DO catch the sunrise!