July 7, 2008




(209) Fountain Nymphs

8 x 10, oil
private collection
I really enjoyed painting this fountain located at the El Monte Sagrado. The reflected light from the water beneath produced interesting shapes and subtle shifts in color and value.
(I placed the larger white canvas underneath the painting to shield my palette from the dappled sunlight. This works better than an umbrella when the light is coming in from a low angle)
(208) The Pond
We painted the pond one more time on our last day in the workshop. I varied the shapes of the background trees, but failed to make them different heights--funny how much easier it is to see mistakes later with a "fresh eye"...
Then it was time to say goodbye to the desert...

adios to the mountains....
chao to the ever-changing pond...

and begin the long journey home.
"I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train"...Oscar Wilde

5 comments:

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

FAye,

I am so envious of your wonderful art adventures. Your landscapes are terrific. I can hardly wait to see Taos some day. My dream is to spend a week at Ghost Ranch, painting in the shadows of O'keefe.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

wonderful scenery. I like how you added the O'Keefe quotes. Your blog content is great!
PS, I'm jealous too.. in a good way :D

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

oh, and the figures in the fountain are the ultimate example of the power of neutral grays. LOVE it!

FCP said...

paula,
You should look into the great O'Keefe tours offered there. There was one in session while I was there where the workshop group visited all the places she is known for and the participants sketched, painted or photographed on location. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Faye

FCP said...

Mary,
Thanks, those neutral grays are something I need to explore more. Faye