December 20, 2007

(59) Apple of My Eye
6 x 6, oil
I tried to squint and really focus on the subtle value changes with this one. My challenge was to maintain the shadow side of the apples, without allowing the bright colors/light reflecting up from the tablecloth to appear too light--challenging but fun...which brings me to another point. I am stunned by how many artists write about their frustrations and how difficult, agonizing, exhausting, exasperating and utterly painful the painting process is; and, (I'm going out on a limb here) but I'm thinking... really? If you don't love it and it doesn't bring you joy, then I don't get it. If it were all easy, wouldn't it be boring? Do I find it challenging? You bet, but isn't that the fun, the enticement, the joy and the meaning...am I alone in this? Or, am I hopelessly "missing" something? I have to say that even my "worst day" of painting is a grand day indeed.
"All the sorrows, all the bitterness, all the sadnesses; I forget them and ignore them in the joy of working"...Camille Pisarro

2 comments:

Mary J DuVal said...

Faye, I just love your blog. It really gets me thinking! I read this one the other day and am just now getting back to it. I relate to what you say here because I (foolishly)wish every painting would just fall off my brushes (!) but the ones where I am challenged are the ones where I grow. I try to think of it like a puzzle and be intrigued by the challenge instead of overwhelmed (not always easy). I was reading my Artist magazine this morn and thought of your blog when I read a quote by Katharine Hurley, "When the process is difficult, it's important not to fight. It's all part of the adventure."

FCP said...

Thanks so much MJ. I appreciate you taking the time to stop in and comment.
Faye