December 19, 2007


(58) 1899
private collection
6 x 8, oil
I apologize for the glare in the photo. It is increasingly more difficult to finish the painting and photograph it before the light changes and it becomes too dark. Or perhaps I'm just getting slower. In any event, I discovered these limited-edition bottles and couldn't resist painting them. The box says the shapes are replicas of those made by Coca Cola in 1899; a time when, as my son so astutely pointed out, the bottlers added a "special ingredient" to the-drink-that-refreshes: cocaine. Where did you think coke got it's name?
"The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a passing cloud, from a spider's web"...Pablo Picasso (or perhaps from bottles with interesting shapes and colors)

2 comments:

Mary J DuVal said...

I don't see a glare at all - it looks great! What a coincidence, my son was telling me that same thing about Coca-Cola in the car today and I poo-pooed it. Hmmm.

FCP said...

'Tis true. Early advertisements called it "wholesome, natural, and refreshing"...