November 1, 2012

Amalfi Marina



As soon as I glanced back and caught a glimpse of this little boat at the edge of the marina, I knew I had to paint it. The blue/orange complimentary colors, and light and shadow composition grabbed my eye. Painting outside requires the ability to reduce a ton of information, so it is an added joy to find a scene that grabs your heart as well as your attention. 

6 x 8, oil on canvas

"My mom said she learned how to swim when someone took her out in the lake and threw her off the boat.
I said, "MOM, they weren't trying to teach you how to swim."
Paula Poundstone



1 comment:

Unknown said...

That quote is so funny! It took me by surprise! Yes, the boat does beg to be painted and preserved in our memory. I would have loved to happen across it on a sunny day by the shore. Your painting certainly pays tribute to the little fellow! It's gorgeous!