May 19, 2008

(170) Atmosphere and Color of Light:
To study how the atmospheric conditions and color of light affects objects in the landscape, I painted the following studies for contrast. The first was painted at 6 a.m. when the distant trees appeared pastel, while the second was painted two hours later when the early morning sun washed everything with a wonderful yellow-orange glow. I chose this simple scene because it "has it all": (1) distant, as well as foreground trees (2) a highway that picks up light differently every hour and (3) the brick entrance that provides vertical, horizontal and slanted planes; each catching light differently throughout the day. Tomorrow I will explore two additional times of day.

6 a.m. --Early morning reveals a low key study of close values.
8 a.m.--The early yellow-orange light provides colors with a higher chroma, and longer shadows.

"I know to paint the sea really well, you need to look at it every hour of the day in the same place so you can understand its way in that particular spot and that is why I am working on the same motifs over and over again four to six times even"...Claude Monet (I know I've used this quote before, but it is worth repeating here)

No comments: