April 2, 2012

exhibit


I am honored to announce that the following paintings will be on display at the Porter Cafe in the Main Street Library from April 4th through May 1st.  My theme is all about...what else?  READING, of course!


This exhibit is near and dear to my heart because, when I was ten, I first discovered my love of Michelangelo Buonoarroti in the pages of a book at my local library. Sitting in the middle of the aisle with that huge book, I wept as I studied those images - I just couldn't believe a mere mortal could create such powerfully beautiful sculptures and frescoes. With that discovery, I knew my view of art would be forever altered.  Books have a way of doing that. That is why we build libraries. We read something powerful, meaningful, eloquent, relevant, useful, intriguing, worthwhile...and we say I HAVE TO SHARE THIS WITH OTHER PEOPLE! Books connect us with ourselves. And libraries connect us with each other.

If you have frequented this blog since its 2007 beginning, you know that I have included a writer's quote with each painting because, for me,  they just go together like peas and carrots, bread and butter. I simply cannot conceive of one without the other, perhaps because both writers and artists begin with a blank page. Sometimes the quote precedes and inspires the painting, and sometimes it is the other way around - but either way, I have discovered that words and colors carry energy. Energy that has the potential for inspiring, healing, uplifting, touching peoples' lives in a meaningful way. I know I am certainly grateful for the images and words I discovered all those years ago.

And so, if you are "in the neighborhood" I do hope you will stop by and browse the gallery on your way to discover a great book (or several). In the meantime, I leave you with these images and words in the hope you will find them as joyful as I do...

"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. 
I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful!
 And don't forget to make some art- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can.
 And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself." 
-Neil Gaiman








3 comments:

Debi Murray said...

Congratulations, Faye! What a wonderful honor. Your paintings are delightful and I LOVE your text - especially about words and images going together and the energy they carry. My sentiments exactly. And how beautifully spoken!

Tracey Mardon said...

Best of luck with your show Faye!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness...." Where do you find this great stuff? It makes me feel like blowing bubbles. I hope you enjoy your show and get lots of favorable feedback.