May 25, 2009

The Mime

So.. I went out to the farmer's market and when I returned, another chick had flown out of the nest, so here was my last little guy all alone. I watched as he (she?) stretched out for a luxurious nap in the now "roomy" abode. And then he was ready to do a few of his favorite impressions for me--or at least that is how it appeared to me. See for yourself:
First, I was treated to a De Niro impression of "Aye..You Lookin at me?"
...followed by his version of "Vinny the Vulture"

Next he sat on the edge of the nest and tried to see just how tiny he could become...
Then it was time to stretch to his tallest pose...
Followed by his impersonation of Puff Daddy, perhaps? What a comedian he is...
And I'm fairly certain if I could understand what he is trying to communicate to me in this one, he would tell me to GO PAINT and leave him alone.
At one point, I observed one of the other siblings suddenly fly back onto the window sill which resulted in both birds engaging in a frenzy of chirping and wing flapping. Seconds later, the visitor had flown away and all was quiet once again. I suspect that what I had just witnessed was a show of encouragement and excitement, meant to convince our younger chick to fly out and join the family fun...and about an hour later, he did just that, leaving the nest empty once again.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments, questions, and emails about our feathered friends. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to witness this little family's work ethic, courage, discipline, and comedy routines from such a close perspective. Providing a connection that enriches and informs our own lives, I feel their journey illustrates just how much more alike, than different, we all really are. A pretty big role for such tiny hearts.
"Our life together is so precious, together
we have grown, we have grown...
It's time to spread our wings and fly
Don't let another day go by my love
It'll be just like starting over, starting over"...John Lennon

9 comments:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Wonderful it's been such good fun and thankfully they've managed this stage unscathed.....one of them might even return next year and the cycle will start again :)

Marian Fortunati said...

What a beautiful adventure of life you've shared with us Faye.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the robin family with us. The nest in the tree outside my window remained empty this year, so I was especially glad to see them. Your humorous take on their activities was the best part.

Bonnie Luria said...

Faye,


Can you hear this?????

It’s a standing ovation complete with the two fingers in the mouth whistle, and a stadium of fans doing the wave in appreciation of this nothing short of fabulous presentation you’ve given us all.


Your photos, your captions, the quotes, the song lyrics, the mirroring of similarities of how we interconnect. I’ve just loved these posts.

L.Holm said...

ditto all of the above, Faye. Thanks for sharing the gift of these photos, and your beautiful writing.

Jala Pfaff said...

Oh, what a great ending to the story! I miss them already, though.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Wonderful! Absolutely charming!!

Karen Appleton said...

I too just felt like chiming in here with dittos too. I've loved the documenting of this little family on your blog, it has been a treat to see, and I will miss the little guys and know you will too!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

I enjoyed your little bird drama. What a wonderful oppurtunity to witness it.