November 16, 2012

cliff notes


The neutral color of cliffs, deserts, and rock formations are intriguing to paint because their ever changing appearance depends entirely on the light source, time of day and the amount of bounced, reflected lights in the shadows. 
So here I condensed the vast scene into a narrow, vertical format; painted as quickly as I could, eliminating unnecessary details and shifting focus to color relationships and abstract spots of color. (I'm pretty sure if Emeril had walked by, he would have shouted "bam!")


                                                               Marina Cliffs, 6" x 16"


"I was proud of the waves I had made,
but wondered how many boats I was supposed to rock" 
Phil Donahue

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like your interpretation of the scene! The vertical format accentuates the majestic impact of the cliffs above the water. Very nicely done!