April 27, 2010

Project Fayway

Party Dress
8 x 16, oil on canvas

Sometimes you just can't predict where your next inspiration will come from. That is certainly true for this painting. After stepping into a restaurant powder room and seeing fabulous fashion illustration posters, I was so inspired to sketch out a design of my own. Now, normally I only paint what I can study, that is, what is actually in front of me-- so nothing could have been more foreign that stepping up to the easel with no plan and no reference. But it didn't take long before I got totally lost in the process, and "forgot" that it was out of my comfort zone. Because oil paint is so forgiving, I easily gave my "model" a purse, a boa, sleeves, a necklace, a hat, and ten other hairstyles...only to scrape them all off, design and re-design until I settled on this dress in one of my favorite colors. I don't expect Project Runway to call anytime soon, but this was tons of fun.  Can't wait to try another pose...maybe a ballgown next time, or perhaps a....
"Today must not be a souvenir of yesterday, and so the struggle is everlasting. 
Who am I today? What do I see today? 
How shall I use what I know, and how shall I avoid being a victim of what I know?
 Life is not repetition....
If you work from memory, you are most likely to put in your real feeling"
...Robert Henri
(Isn't that just the best quote? Henri must have been the ultimate art instructor.)

5 comments:

Leslie Saeta said...

Project Runway ... here you come! I so love that show and I so love your dress and sketch. Perhaps you have found a new calling? Cograts!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I'm lovin' this sketch-y illustration. And it does so look like it was a fun project to get into. Will we see more??

Marian Fortunati said...

Faye.. I can't imagine trying to do a painting totally out of my imagination...

This is terrific!!

Gwen Bell said...

What a GREAT dress! Don't be so sure you won't hear from Project Runway if they see this beauty. Love the way it is very classy but completely fun at the same time. The long blue gloves are perfect with it. Trying to envision the Star I want to see wearing this on the Red Carpet. Annette Benning, Reese Witherspoon, January Jones, Hally Berry?

Tracy Wall said...

How wonderfully fun this is!

I've done department store manikins to practice my figure drawing, but adding the component of creating your own is grand.

Bravo and so well done!