January 17, 2010

out to sea

I recently enjoyed catching up with an artist friend who lamented that it was "time to get back to work!" ~ and I found myself pondering that phrase all afternoon. In my quest to "see things from a new perspective" I thought, why not get back to play instead? I had been mulling over new ways to see color, value and design, so I decided to explore these concepts in a form other than paint. I began by tearing up strips of colored tissue paper and then arranged (and rearranged) them on a background of sturdy watercolor paper until I found a design that I liked best. Then I glued them down with tiny dots of glue to create this scene (just enough glue to keep the fragile tissue paper from falling off the page).
I like how the spaces between the colors work with, and become an important part of, the design. And, allowing the tissue paper to be loosely applied seems to give the scene an overall feeling of energy and movement, I think.
This would be a fun and inexpensive project to enjoy with children (or the young at heart)...and so I wonder...would different textures and thicknesses of paper like that of magazines and newspapers work equally well?...and what about strips of discarded old watercolor sketches...or construction paper...or...
Gray days and cabin fever are so "last year" folks -- there are just too many new perspectives and golden horizons waiting to be discovered just beyond the sea.


"Somewhere beyond the sea, somewhere waiting for me, my lover stands on golden sands and watches the ships that go sailing..."
(Beyond the Sea...by Robbie Williams)

16 comments:

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Faye, I absolutely love this. It brightens my day just to see it :-)

Jala Pfaff said...

This is great. It looks like an illustration in a children's book and is very happy.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I love the different values on the tissue that gave the tissue such texture... cover it with some matt medium and frame it.

Marian Fortunati said...

Really FUN!!! I love it... I am so often amazed and thrilled when I see the work of collage artists.... how they create beautiful and interesting works of art with just stuff...
LOVE IT!!

Edward Burton said...

This is fantastic, Faye!

Mary J DuVal said...

Fun, fun, fun! This makes me want to get friends together and play! You definitely captured the movement too.

FCP said...

Thanks Rhonda. I appreciate that!

FCP said...

Jala, I think you are right. The colors certainly lend a childlike quality that would work in a book. thanks for stopping by.

FCP said...

Oh, Nancy, thanks. I wouldn't have thought about the matt medium. I appreciate the tip.

FCP said...

Marian, I agree, although it is not something I have tried before, but I can see how it is a meditative endeavor. (at least that is how I saw it)

FCP said...

Edward,
thanks for visiting!

FCP said...

mj, yes, it would be fun to share materials in a group and have an art date! I hope you get a chance to do just that.

L.Holm said...

aahhhh! Back to play. Perfect idea. I love your sense of exploration and new horizons. This is joyous.

Karen Appleton said...

Dang I have missed visiting your blog! What an inspiration every visit is! I love the colors of this beautiful collage.

FCP said...

Thanks, Liz. It does feel joyous--that is the perfect word for it.

FCP said...

thanks, Karen, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by.wishing you all the best--stay warm up there!